Who says you can’t have pizza when you’re camping? While you may not be able to pick up the phone and order from your go-to pizzeria at home, you can make your very own campfire pie iron pizzas that will be just as tasty! These are so versatile, you can really stuff your pizzas with whatever ingredients you like. Try BBQ chicken, Hawaiian, veggie, or a meat lovers! Here are a few that we like! Give pie iron pizzas a try and enjoy a hot, ooey-gooey pie iron pizza hot off the coals of your campfire.
Pepperoni Pizza Pockets
2 tubes of refrigerated pizza dough
½ tsp. Oregano
Optional add-ins: green peppers, black olives, mushrooms, onions, ham, pineapple, etc.
1. Spray the inside surfaces of your pie iron with cooking spray.
2. Cut the dough into 6 separate rectangles (3 from each tube). Lay half of each rectangle across your open pie iron.
3. Spoon some pizza sauce into each pie iron on the dough. Spread it around so that it covers the area completely.
4. Sprinkle with cheese.
5. Add your toppings!
6. Bring the other side of the dough up and lay it on top of the pizza. Crimp the edges together so nothing will leak out.
7. Close it up with the other half of your pie iron.
8. Hold it over hot campfire coals for a few minutes to cook. Flip it over once or twice for even cooking.
9. Serve with veggies and dip or fruit and enjoy a delicious pizza dinner right at your campsite!
Tomato Basil Pizza Pies
1 tube of refrigerated crescent rolls
Large tomatoes, sliced thinly
2/3 C. mayonnaise
1 package of mozzarella cheese
½ C. Parmesan cheese
¼ C. fresh basil leaves, julienned
1 clove of garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1. Spray the inside of each pie iron with cooking spray.
2. Roll out your crescent roll dough. Cover half of each pie iron with crescent roll dough.
3. Divide 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese between the pie irons and sprinkle it on the dough.
4. In a bowl, mix together 1 cup mozzarella, mayo, Parmesan, basil, salt, and pepper.
5. Place a tomato slice in each pie iron on top of the cheese.
6. Spoon a little mayo mixture onto each tomato and spread it around.
7. Top off each pie iron with another piece of dough and crimp the edges together so they’re sealed tightly.
8. Hold them over your campfire coals for a few minutes on each side. Flip them over a few times for even cooking.
9. Serve with fresh fruit or a side salad for a delicious, healthy dinner!
Bacon Cheeseburger Pie Iron Pizzas
2 tubes of refrigerated pizza dough
1 lb. ground beef
7 strips of bacon, diced
¼ C. onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. onion powder
salt & pepper to taste
1 package shredded cheddar cheese
1. Cook the ground beef, onion, garlic, and bacon in a skillet over medium heat until everything is cooked thoroughly. Drain excess fat.
2. Sprinkle the meat mixture with the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to coat well.
3. Unroll your refrigerated pizza dough. Cut each tube into 3 even rectangles (6 total).
4. Lay half of each rectangle onto a greased (with cooking spray) pie iron.
5. Spoon a portion of the meat mixture into each pie iron on top of the dough.
6. Now sprinkle each one with a little cheddar cheese.
7. Fold the other half of the dough over the top to close up the pizza. Crimp the edges so they are sealed tightly.
8. Close up the pie iron and hold it over hot campfire coals for a few minutes on each side. Flip it over a few times so that both sides end up with a nice golden color.
9. Slide the pizzas out of the pie irons and serve with celery and dip, a garden salad, or French fries.