St. Patrick’s Day is almost here, and that means green EVERYTHING. If you’re looking for the perfect way to follow up your meal of shepherd’s pie or corned beef and cabbage and festive green beverages, try out this tasty green dessert for the win! A scrumptious pistachio ice cream cake is the most perfect and refreshing way to celebrate your Irish heritage (or your “Irish for a day” heritage), and is a perfect recipe for your RV kitchen! Unfortunately, a leprechaun won’t sneak in and whip up this dessert for you, so here’s how to make your own pistachio ice cream cake!
What You’ll Need:
For the crust:
- 10 sandwich cookies (bonus points if you can find cookies with green wafers or cream for an extra pop of color!)
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
For the filling:
- 2-3 pints of pistachio ice cream (the greener the better, or make your own!)
For the ganache:
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- 4 oz. heavy cream
- ¼ C. pistachios, roughly chopped
- 7-inch springform pan
- To make the crust, place cookies in a food processor and pulse until they are fine crumbs.
- Melt the butter, then mix with the cookie crumbs until the butter is mixed evenly through.
- Press your butter and cookie mixture into the bottom of a springform pan. Place the pan in the freezer for about an hour to set.
- Pull your ice cream out of the freezer 10-15 minutes before cake assembly to soften it. This will make it easier to spread!
- Once the ice cream has softened, either use an electric mixer or mix it by hand to further soften it until it is the consistency of soft-serve ice cream.
- Spread the ice cream evenly over the crust, pressing out as many air bubbles as you can. You’ll want the ice cream to almost fill the springform pan.
- Cover the ice cream layer with plastic wrap and press the ice cream and smooth the surface, getting out any remaining air bubbles, then place it in the freezer for around two hours to set it.
- When the ice cream is nearly finished setting, prepare the ganache by melting the chocolate with the heavy cream in a double broiler. Stir it from time to time until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is totally blended.
- Let the ganache cool to room temperature, but be careful not to let it harden.
- Once it is at room temperature, spread the ganache over the layer of ice cream. Garnish the perimeter of the top of the ice cream cake with crushed pistachio pieces for flavor and more green color!
- Place the cake back into the freezer for at least another two hours.
About 15 minutes before serving your tasty St. Patrick’s day green dessert, take the cake out of the freezer and let it sit on the counter. This will slightly soften it and make it easier to slice and serve!
How delicious is this festive pistachio ice cream cake? It’s cool, refreshing, and joyously yummy! This basic recipe uses brown chocolate, but it’s versatile and easily modified. Use golden sandwich cookies instead of the regular chocolate ones, and top with a white chocolate ganache or even simple whipped cream tinted with green food coloring to go all out for the green dessert win! Plan your St. Patty’s Day feast now, get your RV kitchen ready for some fun cooking, and leave us a comment to let us know how your pistachio ice cream cake turned out!
Need an RV so you can celebrate St. Patrick’s Day responsibly? TerryTown RV has a fantastic selection of RVs for sale in Grand Rapids, Michigan, so browse online or stop by today!