The holiday season is upon us, and it’s time to start thinking about gift giving! If you have a knack for DIY gifts, you’ll want to think ahead, as holidays have a tendency of sneaking up on us! Of course, we all have that one person who leaves us feeling stumped when trying to decide what to get them, but instead of admitting defeat and picking up a gift card, give them what they really want! This tasty drink recipe shows you how you can infuse your own woodsy winter gin that will surely leave its drinkers feeling the warmth of the holiday spirit! Be sure to brew up more than one batch, because you’ll definitely want to keep some of this delicious homemade gin for yourself! Here’s how to infuse!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 fifth (750 ml.) of good quality unflavored vodka
- 2 Tbsp. juniper berries
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1 small sprig (three inches or so) of white fir (other types of fir are fine, make sure to properly disinfect before use)
- 1 cardamom pod
- Half of a cinnamon stick
- 1 sage leaf (fresh or dried)
- 1 allspice berry
- Small piece of dried orange peel (white part removed)
- 1 large Mason jar or glass bottle
- In your Mason jar or glass bottle, soak the juniper berries in the vodka for around 12 hours or overnight. Juniper is what gives gin its classic flavor!
- After the preliminary soak, add the rest of the ingredients to the jar or bottle and let them soak for anywhere between a few days to a week, depending on how strong you’d like your infusion!
- After soaking the second round of ingredients for 24 hours, taste your concoction to make sure you’re liking the strength of the ingredients! Feel free to add more of any given ingredient to enhance its flavor!
- Make sure to shake the jar/bottle at least once a day to mix things up and keep the ingredients infusing nicely.
- Once your gin is infused to your liking, strain the liquid through a fine wire strainer. Strain the liquid again through a coffee filter to further remove any remaining sediment.
- Store your flavorful gin in an airtight container, such as another Mason jar or glass bottle. If you want to get fancy with it, design your own label and give your tasty infused woodsy winter gin as gifts to the gin lovers in your life!
The great thing about this delicious infused woodsy winter gin is that there is no real set recipe! Juniper berries are what give gin its distinct taste, and coriander, orange peel, and cinnamon are typically included, but play around with the recipe and add other herbs and spices to create a perfectly flavored gin! Use this recipe to craft tasty gin cocktails, or just pour a small serving and enjoy the complex flavors on their own! As always, drink responsibly! Excited to infuse your own gin, or have any other tips or tricks for infusing liquors? Leave us a comment to let us know!